Surveillance and Espionage
Surveillance & Espionage
Some Baton models, obviously designed for Covert Ops, have a number of possible functions to facilitate these clandestine situations. All of these features can be combined with both the PDA and various communications functions.
1. Audio Recorder: This is a simple recording application of the baton, and many may not even know the baton is in this configuration. Can be combined with any and all communications features, as well as all of the Surveillance & Espionage features, and recordings can be analyzed by sensors if the appropriate package is available. Can also playback recordings.
2. Camera: The Baton can take both still images and video recordings. The Baton will produce both a display and a lens that can be manually or auto focused. The camera can be enhanced with a variety of optical lenses for different situations, including but not limited to Nightvision (active & passive), Infrared, Thermal, Ultraviolet, Magnification, Laser Targeting, and Telescoping. It can also be enhanced to provide additional information on the display or through the lens, such as Location, Date, Time, and even Distancing information. Many acquire this feature to use in place of field glasses (or similar). Also has a variety of flash options, and, when used with the PDA, image enhancing options as well. Once an image or video has been captured sensors (if the appropriate package is available) can analyze the image/recording.
1 point for the camera, 0.5 points for each lens (or other) enhancement, 3 points for all enhancements. An additional (1) point and both Holo-Stills and Holo-Video can be recorded.
3. Cone of Silence: The Baton creates a cylindrical field around the wielder, with a variable diameter out to a maximum of 2 feet per P.E. attribute point of the wielder, and has a maximum height of 1 foot per P.E. point of the wielder. The field prevents all inside conversation from being heard by outside listeners or outside listening devices, it also prevents all radio signals from being transmitted in or out while it is in place (it does not however prevent a recording device from functioning inside, it just can’t broadcast out), this applies to enhanced senses as well as normal ones. Further it slightly blurs the events going on within it to prevent any pictures, video, or lip reading from taking place. In addition the field blocks any supernatural means of detection such as empathy, telepathy, etc. both within the field, and directed into the field from outside. It does not however prevent someone from entering or leaving the field, nor does it prevent bullets from entering or leaving the field, etc. Those inside can both hear and see outside without impairment.
4. Detection Wand: The Baton extends a sensor head similar to the Sensors option (but the arms can be fixed in place to not indicate anything was detected). This is then used during security checks & personal inspections to detect concealed cybernetic/bionic weapons & other devices, carried or concealed hand weapons, explosives, and other devices/items that may be a threat. Can also be used to sweep a room, vehicle, or other area for traps. Detection success rate is 92%. However the range is very limited so one must be in very close proximity to scan. Additionally a variety of alerts can be used when something is detected, from loud klaxons and flashing lights to an almost undetectable vibration in the handle, but must be set in advance.
2 points. For an additional (1) point the wand can double as a bug, listening, or tracking device detector, with a 97% success rate. For an additional 2 points the wand can be used to detect aberrant energy devices, items, or weapons (psi-devices, magic items, super powered items, etc.), with at 87% detection success rate.
5. Holo-disguise: When properly programed and then held the Baton can project a holographic disguise around the wielder. This is a visual only disguise, but will work against both the naked eye, and camera stills, or video feeds. If the outward disguise closely matches the wielder’s physiology then even sensors can be fooled (a Human looking like an Elf, or different human), but gross mismatches (a dwarf looking like a Grackle Tooth) can be uncovered via senses. Does not fool mystical scans such as See Aura, or similar, and unless extremely close to the original (basically just altered facial features) a physical exam will reveal the ruse. Can be combined with the Loudspeaker to disguise one’s voice as well.
8 points, for an additional 2 points the disguise can be made Hands Free (projected from a holstered Baton).
6. Listening Microphone: The Baton can be used as a long range directional microphone, presumably for listening in on the conversations of others, which can also function as a parabolic microphone. A secondary feature is that the baton can project a small laser or IR beam onto a class window, and pick up audio from the other side by ‘listening’ to the window vibrations. This feature includes sound amplification and sound detection options when being used defensively (guarding/security) or passively
1 point. For an additional 0.5 points the Baton can be enhanced with noise cancelling capabilities to better hear what you want and filter out the rest. For another 0.5 points the Baton can also be used as a contact microphone, to place against walls or other large objects to listen to the other side, or extend a tube microphone with up to 6 inches of length per point of the wielder’s P.E. attribute.
7. Loudspeaker: The opposite of the microphone option the Baton will amplify audio directed at the receiver to much louder levels, similar to a Megaphone (with a great amount of volume level and type control provided). It can also amplify audio recordings, or various audio communications transmissions. Includes optional noise cancelling properties for clearer sound. This option can also be used as a microphone for musical (or other) performances.
0.5 points. For an additional 0.5 points the outbound audio can be altered or disguised in any number of ways, but requires proper skills to be set to a specific impersonation setting (but does include a number of pre-set generic alterations). This can be combined with any outbound communications or audio recording options.
8. Remote Bug: The Baton can produce remote bugs that communicate back to the baton. Can be used for information gathering, spying, or tracking. The bugs are the size of a 20th century Earth dime, and can adhere to any surface, and even survive atmospheric re-entry. Can produce one bug for every 10 P.E. attribute points of the wielder, per day. The feed from the appropriate bugs can be monitored either through the PDA, or the various prerequisite unit features (Listening Mic. for Audio, Camera for visual, etc.). The Remote Bug function also includes a simple tracking unit with directional pointer display, and optional audio indicator. When used with the PDA can be overlaid onto a map. Range is 0.5 miles per wielder’s P.E. attribute. Range can be doubled when combined with the sensor feature, and quadrupled when combined with either Mobile or Satellite communications
Audio bugs require the Listening Microphone, Video bugs require the Camera, Bugs that do both require both, Wire Tap bugs (which can be used to expand the tap to secured or hardline communications) require the Wire Tap, and computer bugs (used to spy on other’s computer use) require the PDA. Tracking bugs have no prerequisite.
0.5 points per type of bug, or 2 points for all types. For an additional (1) point the bug can include a remote self-destruct that will cause the bug to disintegrate, but causes no other harm or damage.
9. Rod of Truth: This option is similar to the Multi-Tool under Civilian Options insofar that it covers a number of possible options, all available. These options are all designed to be of use in interrogation (some say torture) of subjects, normally (but not exclusively) to acquire/extract information.
• The normal appearance is of a rod of variable length (depending on if the Cudgel or Staff options are possessed), with a sharp multi-pronged head at one end and a blunt roundish head at the other. While each of these heads can be used to inflict physical damage (with the sharp prongs inflicting 1D4 damage each [there can be 1-6 prongs, wielder’s choice], and the blunt end inflicting 1D6 damage, damage for either being matched to the subject (S.D.C. for such beings, and Mega-Damage for those beings), its true nature is that once touched to a subject it lights up their nervous system with pure agony. Whenever struck with the agony feature active the subject must make a save vs. pain of 15 (P.E. bonuses apply, equal to the save vs. magic, but not from any other source). If subjected to prolonged exposure there is a cumulative penalty of -1 for every 2.5 seconds one is held in contact with the rod. This agony inflicts no physical damage, but too much exposure in too little time can render the victim unconscious, insane, or dead. Unfortunately there is no real way to know what the breaking point of a specific subject is, but skilled users can make a rough determinations (the interrogation skill, but for this estimate the biology or xenology skills add a temporary ‘+5% to the roll (if they themselves are successfully rolled), and psychology or anthropology adds a temporary ‘+10% if successfully rolled. As a general rule if a subject fails 1D4+5 saves in under a minute they have to make a save vs. insanity (if they fail that number more than once they must save vs. insanity again), if they fail 2D4+6 saves they will fall unconscious for 2D4x10 minutes, and if 3D4+8 saves (again, in under a minute) they must save vs. coma or enter into one for 2D4 hours, at the end of which they save again, if they succeed they revive, if not they enter a prolonged coma for 1D4 days, after which they save vs. coma/death again, if they fail, they can possibly die. For every 3 failed saves there is a cumulative -1 to save vs. pain. The delivery system is two-fold. The most common is energy or electrical pulses being used to induce the agony, but for those that are immune to energy the rod produces small micro tendrils that burrow into the subject and stimulate the nerves directly. One does not have to hit a subject hard enough to inflict the agony, merely touching them with the stick will suffice, but skin must be touched, or at least mundane non-protective clothing, the agony will not work through armour (but a personal/natural A.R. will have no protective effect). Some variations of this model are so intense they cause the subject to glow from the eyes and mouth as the agony is inflicted.
• Some prefer more drama when performing their interrogations; this option uses the same agony features and handle as above, but changes the delivery system. When this is used a whip is extended from the same end as the blades, the whip can be a singular tail, or multiple tails (the ideal number being nine for post people). The whip itself only inflicts 1D6 damage (as appropriate per being) for a single tail, or 2D4 damage for multiple-tail whips. Damage is only inflicted if desired, the whip can be used without inflicting damage, some torturers… interrogators… will do this mainly for psychological effect, as well the agony infliction (as per the Agony Stick) does not require that damage be inflicted, only that it touches the subject, but skin must be touched, or at least mundane non-protective clothing, the agony will not work through armour (but a personal/natural A.R. will have no protective effect), some skilled with the whip can tear the clothing off of them, but leave the individual unharmed. The whip can be wrapped around a subject to either entangle them or to use as a leash, and the agony feature can be activated at any time, for however long the user wishes.
• This option does not inflict any damage or agony on a subject, but rather is a specialized sensor system that detects of what a subject is saying is the truth (so far as they know). The detector must be in contact with a subject to be able to read, and can be set to give a full reading, or simply tone or vibrate for ‘True’ or ‘False’ (there are a variety of settings for this, some are so that the subject is unaware they are being scanned in such a manner). With either the Stick or Whip above the detector can work through the same contact as inducing the agony. The Truth Detector has a 96% accuracy rate.
1 point. For an additional (1) point the Truth Detector can be made to function similar to the Detection Wand, with a range of about 10 feet, provided that there is only one subject to scan, and there is no interference (like a wall or window) between the detector and the subject, but accuracy drops to 84% when not in direct contact with a subject.
10. Wire Tap: Can only be used with communications options. Used to eavesdrop or ‘listen in’ on the conversations of others, particularly on closed conversations, like cell-phone to cell-phone, or cell-phone to landline. Can only listening on lines that have not been additionally scrambled or encrypted, and only if at least one party is wireless. Secured to Scrambled communications can only be listened to if the encryption is broken, but hacking requires the PDA function.
: 3 points.