Recreation and Entertainment
“All work and no play make someone a something something…” Once those who rediscovered the Batons stopped focusing on uncovering practical, combat, or other ‘work’ based functions of the device they uncovered a number of possible recreational uses. It appears that the Baton was more than used a tool for the long forgotten society that created it.
1. Boardsports: The most basic concept is taking some sort of board, possibly with modifications, and using it to traverse a variety of terrain. Some boards can be used on more than one kind of terrain, while others are specially designed for specific terrains. The simplicity of this concept, combined with the fact that a flat board can be used by various physiologies makes this a recreational activity that has simultaneously developed in multiple civilizations of varying tech levels.
When in this form the Baton becomes the board in question, of any appropriate size for the rider. The most common boards are unpowered (or ‘heartbeat’ powered) requiring either the rider, or an element of the terrain for propulsion, although there are some powered types as well. If the Main Body is ‘destroyed’ the Baton reverts to its normal state
Some types of boards available are (but not limited to) Skateboards, Longboards, Snakeboards, Freeboards, Snowboards, Surfboards, Riverboards, Dirtboards, Kick Scooters, Snowskates, Sandboards, Dirtsurfers, T-Boards, Skyboards, Hoverboards, and Spaceboards. Names and styles for these and other boards may vary depending on society.
0.25 points per non-powered board, 2 points for all non-powered boards, plus 1 point for the option to make all wheeled boards powered, 3 points for a Hoverboard (plus 2 points to make it a Turbo Hoverboard), 7 points for a Spaceboard.
Personal Recreation & Sport Transport
1 (cannot take passengers)
M.D.C. by Location (S.D.C. in S.D.C. realms):
• ~Wheels/Fins (multiple) – Equal to one quarter of the Rider’s P.E. attribute number
• ~Hover Jets (1-6) – Equal to the Rider’s P.E. attribute number
• Main Body – Equal to the Rider’s P.E. attribute number x1.5
A single ‘~’ indicates an optional feature that not all boards have.
Varies depending on terrain and method of propulsion. Hoverboards and Spaceboards can achieve this in roughly 2 seconds (one melee action)
For rider-propelled boards on a flat surface 0.25 mph for every Spd. attribute point. For Electric ground boards 0.5 mph for every P.E. attribute point. Hoverboards can reach 1 mph for each P.E. attribute point of the rider (triple for a Turbo-Hoverboard), Spaceboards, when not riding the ‘cosmic waves’ can reach Mach 1, with an additional Mach for every 10 P.E. attribute points (Spaceboards do not work inside an atmosphere, and neither Spaceboards nor Hoverboards can breach the atmosphere, either incoming or outgoing).
Whatever the Rider desires up to Maximum Speed (with limitations based on terrain and other factors for non-powered models).
Unlimited, can go for as long as the Rider needs it to.
Only applicable to Hoverboards, 500 ft. per P.E. attribute point of the rider (triple for a Turbo Hoverboard).
No special capabilities in this regard
1-20 ft. depending on model design.
a few inches – 6 ft. depending on model.
a few inches to a couple of ft. depending on model.
Negligible, as a solid but temporary construct of energy that disappears when not in use or destroyed weight is not a factor.
Alien; Unknown (when applicable).
2. Electric Frankfurter: It turns out that the Baton is able to provide nourishment for its wielder. It is able to transform gathered energy, with some of the user’s Bio-Energy used to ensure the right nutrient mix for the meal. However for an unknown reason the meal is always produced as a Sausage or Hot Dog on a bun, with a variety of condiments and toppings available (various mustards, sauerkraut, various ketchups, a variety of salsas, mayonnaise, cheese, liquid cheese product, relish, onions, jalapenos, and more). Two such Frankfurters provides a full nourishment for one meal, assuming four meals a day, eight in total provides nourishment for a single being for a day. The number of ‘frankfurters’ that can be produced is one per P.E. point per day (with a minimum of eight). The Frankfurter always appears piping hot and fresh, the bun warm or toasted depending on selected preference, and with the selected topping and condiments already placed, in a biodegradable lined foil wrapper (which can be reabsorbed by the Baton, waste not want not). If the Sno-Cone Maker feature is also possessed the number of available frankfurter and beverages/snacks come from the same source, meaning that ‘one per P.E. point per day’ is for either a beverage or a frankfurter, not one each.
3. Entertainment Projection System: While there are many personal-use features that allow the displaying or playback of media or communications this feature allows for a larger playback option, for relaxing, or for group. The Baton can be placed to project a picture on a surface, either front or rear projection is possible depending on the surface, with manual focusing as well as auto-focusing available. Further the baton uses advanced acoustic technology to provide different audio types as per the playback, be it mono, stereo, or surround sound. This is one of the few features that will continue functioning after the user initiates it and then places it down. The Audio and Visual features do not have to be used together, but can be used independent of each other. Further the baton will produce proper ports for connection to a number of media storage and playback devices from most any world. This feature is automatically compatible with all Communications features, as well as the Surveillance & Espionage Camera and other compatible features.
1 point for audio, 1 point for visual, plus 0.5 points for a deployable adjustable built in tripod, plus 0.5 points for a temporarily detachable remote control. Plus 3 points to add complete holographic playback capabilities (Which can also play/display 2D images or video without the need for a surface).
4. Flatspace Technology: A form of dimensional compression is used to store objects in a compact manner. Simple objects are stored/retrieved and more complex ones systematically deconstructed/reconstructed in a flow of sparkling lights. A significant number of items can be stored for easy retrieval without burdening the user with either weight or size. The amount of storage space available is one cubic foot per P.E. point of the bonded wielder (this is an equivalent space, not an extra-dimensional box). It takes 2 actions to add an item (and can only add items placed on a flat surface, or held in your own hand, not in the possession of another, range of 3 feet to add). It takes an entire melee round to withdraw an item if there are more than 2 items stored. Perishable items like fruit will not go bad while stored in this manner, only non-living matter/items can be stored (can store a piece of fruit or butchered meat, but not a living tree or animal), nor can sentient beings be stored. Items that are magically indestructible cannot be stored.
10 points, plus 2 points for an organized inventory system to make withdrawing items easier (one action instead of one round, any Quick Draw abilities do not apply to this).
5. Laser Tag: While existing as a stand-alone option this feature is more of an add-on to any of the ranged weapon features. It forms a similar looking weapon, but fires only ‘practice’ rounds. This is designed for both training and demonstration purposes, but has also become a recreational activity for many. The basic function creates a generic weapon with a range of 10 ft. per P.E. attribute point, and an unlimited ‘ammunition’ capacity. There are four ‘Tag’ settings; The first being a simple marker-round that leaves a dye-mark behind when it hits, that disappears after a pre-set amount of time (up to 6 hours). The second setting provides a small impact or jolt to let one know they have been hit, but not enough to do damage. The third requires other participants also have a baton set to the same setting (and linked at the start of a match or training session). This third setting uses an energy beam with hits being recorded by both batons, a hit disables the other baton’s ability to fire for a preset amount of time up to the remainder of the match, but the batons also calculate score based on a number of preset factors controllable by the users. The final setting also requires the other participants have a baton. This setting renders the user unconscious for a predetermined amount of time (no more than an hour) upon being successfully ‘shot’. There is no save for this as all participants agree to the terms of the match ahead of time, and it is their own baton rendering them unconscious, after registering the successful hit. Settings can be combined to have joint effect. If a specific ranged weapon features is possessed by the baton then with this feature a ‘training’ version of the weapon is available, with range and ammunition payload reflecting the actual weapon (includes an option to change the payload to ‘unlimited’), with the same four settings listed above. This mode may be cancelled at any time by the user, but if in a linked match with other baton wielders they will be notified that you have left the match/training session.
6. Musical Instruments: This feature allows the Baton to become one of any number of handheld musical instruments up to and including a Double Bass. Any portable or handheld instrument is possible, but stationary ones, like full Drum Sets or Pianos/Organs are not. Both acoustic and electric versions of some instruments are possible, but no outside speakers or power sources are needed as the baton uses its advanced nature to project the sound as needed (full sound controls are offered for the electric option). Only the Instrument is provided (and may need some fine-tuning the first time), but the user must provide their own skill.
0.5 points per specific instrument (like an Alto Saxophone or Baritone Saxophone), and 2 points for a family of instruments (example: all Saxophones, not all woodwinds).
7. Rebreather: This feature provides a limited amount of breathable air (or other substance based on the wielder) for use mainly in recreational excursions to less-hospitable locations (mostly for under water diving or the such, but many others scenarios are possible). The baton either forms a mouthpiece (species dependant) at the top end, which is suspended vertically when in place), or it is formed in the middle of the baton, which is suspended horizontally when in place. This feature provides up to 15 minutes of breathable air per P.E. attribute point of the wielder, per day. This can be greatly extended using proper conservation techniques. A Rebreather does not suddenly protect the user from other environmental factors, like vacuum, extreme temperatures, gasses that have an effect other than when inhaled, etc.
8. Sno-Cone Maker: This feature allows the Baton to dispense a form or liquid nourishment in the form one specific type of frozen beverage/snack. It is able to transform gathered energy, with some of the user’s Bio-Energy used to ensure the right nutrient mix for the beverage/snack. For an unknown reason the beverage/snack is always of a frozen type, and a Baton is only capable of dispensing one type (albeit with a variety of syrups or flavours for each). The type of beverage/snack must be determined when this feature is programmed, and cannot be changed afterwards. Most any frozen desert derived from a liquid is possible, such as Snow Cones, gelato, slushies, sorbert, frozen yogurt, Italian ice, and others, but only one type can be dispensed by a given baton. Two ‘servings’ provides a full nourishment for one meal, assuming four meals a day, eight in total provides nourishment for a single being for a day. The number of beverages/deserts that can be produced is one per P.E. point per day (with a minimum of eight). A biodegradable paper or foam container is provided, with an appropriate straw or spoon can be provided, which can also be reabsorbed by the Baton (waste not want not). If the Electric Frankfurter feature is also possessed the number of available frankfurter and beverages/snacks come from the same source, meaning that ‘one per P.E. point per day’ is for either a beverage or a frankfurter, not one each.
9. Sparring: This is the melee weapon option of the Lazer Tag feature, creating a sparring weapon for use in contests of skill, or in training. Any such weapon feature possessed as a corresponding Sparring weapon when this feature is added to a Baton, or a basic generic training weapon is provided if no appropriate weapon features are possessed. Sparring weapons inflict no damage (and the baton will in fact use its advanced technology to prevent damage while in sparring mode), and have four settings similar to the Lazer Tag feature. The first setting being a simple marker-strike that leaves a dye-mark behind when one is struck by the weapon, which disappears after a pre-set amount of time (up to 6 hours). The second setting provides a small impact or jolt to let one know they have been struck, but not enough to do damage. The third requires other participants also have a baton set to the same setting (and linked at the start of a match or training session). This third setting records strikes, parries, etc., on both batons, a hit disables the other baton’s ability to inflict a measured strike (or causes the recipient’s weapon to unbalance itself providing combat negatives to reflect a simulated wound) for a preset amount of time up to the remainder of the match, but the batons also calculate score based on a number of preset factors controllable by the users. The final setting also requires the other participants have a baton. This setting renders the user unconscious for a predetermined amount of time (no more than an hour) upon being successfully struck after a preset number of times.. There is no save for this as all participants agree to the terms of the match ahead of time, and it is their own baton rendering them unconscious, after registering the successful strikes against them. Settings can be combined to have joint effect. This mode may be cancelled at any time by the user, but if in a linked match with other baton wielders they will be notified that you have left the match/training session.
10. Sporting Equipment: One of the more basic forms of entertainment and recreation, the Baton can form into a number of handheld tools used in sports. Hockey or Lacrosse sticks, a Baseball bat, Golf clubs, a Cricket bat, Tennis (or other ) rackets, and many others, even pogo sticks, are available. Padding, masks, helmets, or other protective wear must be provided separately. Additionally a baton can instead be used as free-weights for exercise and strength contests, and can be set to different weights and sizes (despite the current weight it is set to the baton remains a ‘bar’ in appearance with no weights appearing on the ends).
The Staff feature.
0.25 points per piece of equipment (not including the free weights option), 1 point for the free weights option. For an additional 0.5 points an appropriate ball/shuttlecock/puck can be produced, if not returned to the baton within 12 hours it will disappear, and a new one is not available for 24 hours. For 1.5 points the Baton can produce a larger ball for sports that require no other equipment, like a Football, Rugby Ball, Basketball, or American Football. If this ball is not returned to the baton within 6 hours it will disappear, and a new one is not available for 36 hours.