Civilian Objects and Tools
Civilian Objects & Tools
These are standard or ‘simple’ Baton features that were/are available to civilians without restriction, many are useful in everyday life.
1. Flashlight: Able to project a beam of light varying in intensity from penlight to spotlight. The plain or ‘clear’ lens can also be replaced with one of a variety of coloured and/or filtered (e.g.: U.V.) lenses at the time of activation. The light will last for 30 minute per P.E. point of the wielder, before needing an hour of rest before the flashlight feature can be used again.
2. Umbrella: Produces an extended shaft that ends in a canopy designed to protect against rain or sunlight. The size of the canopy can be made large enough that two human-sized individuals may walk side-by-side and benefit from the protection of the canopy. The canopy can be made transparent, translucent, or opaque.
3. Light Rope/Cable: A Light-Cable is a baton-generated glowing cable or rope that can be used to swing from one place to the other or grab objects from a distance. The Cable can be shot out of the Baton in order to reach great distances away, and also retracted back into the Baton. The Cable has a maximum length equal to 6 feet for every P.E. point of the wielder, each 3-foot section of rope has S.D.C./M.D.C. equal to the wielder’s P.E. (and only takes damage when intentionally targeted). The weight tolerance for the cable is the wielder’s P.E. x40 lbs. When reeling in objects the rope/cable has been affixed to the rate is in feet equal to the wielder’s P.E. attribute (if not affixed to anything takes only 2 actions to retract from full length). If severed the severed portion automatically derezes, the remaining portion automatically retracts. It takes one melee round for the rope/cable to be available again. The Cable/Rope can be cancelled at any time by the wielder, and is immediately available again the next action.
1 point, for an additional 0.5 points the cable can be made to not glow. For an additional 2 points the available length of the rope can be doubled. For another 2 additional points the S.D.C./M.D.C. can be doubled, or for 4 points it is tripled.
4. Grapnel: Often created as part of the Rope/Cable above; this is a retractable multi-pronged ‘hook’ that can be used as a grapnel when the rope is used to swing. The prongs are hinged and controllable for better gripping and release. They can also be reversed and use in a pincher or claw-like fashion for grabbing onto fixtures when swinging with the rope, or for grabbing and reeling in other objects. If fired from the Baton at the head of the Cable but being used as a weapon it inflicts 1D4 damage (S.D.C. in such reams, and M.D. in those realms). The Grapnel/Pincher can be created in a number of different sizes depending in desired use, as well as with a number of different prongs/fingers based on need to a maximum of six. The Grapnel/Pincher can also be used without the Rope/Cable, but instead attached directly to one end of the Baton, or the extended Baton (known as the Staff feature, below). When affixed to the end of Baton or Staff the Grapnel/Pincher can rotate continuously, and rather swiftly, if needed. In addition to all of this the Grapnel/Pincher can also be magnetised to grab onto something or affix itself in place.
1 point. For an additional (1) point a ‘Sticky Grapnel’ is made available, which instead of a ’hook’ provides a controlled adhesive that can stick to any surface, and which can be disengaged and reengaged at will from the Baton by the user.
5. Zip Line: Traditionally the Rope/Cable (with or without Grapnel) is only extended from one end of the Baton, however in some instances wielders have used the cable from both ends to create a suspended line, the Baton itself is then gripped and then used to move along the cable in a manner identical to Zip-Lines. The combined length of the rope from both ends cannot exceed the total length available, as listed above.
Light-Rope/Cable; Grapnel (optional).
6. Portable Sensor: The baton can also be used as a portable scanning/sensor device. In this configuration a pair of sensor ‘wings’ protrude, one from either side, of the baton at its ‘top’ end. These wings have lights along their length, and will flash and extend as the sensor systems are used (giving the Baton a vaguely ‘T’-like appearance). The sensors can also be set to emit an audible tone or sound when being used to search for or hone in on a particular source of signal or sensor readings, once detected/found the wings will extend to their fullest length and the meter will buzz noticeably at a higher pitch. A small holographic screen with the readings is projected just beneath sensor wings and in front on the baton itself. The holographic display also functions as a touch-screen for controlling the sensors. The device is capable of a full suite of senor systems not unlike those found in Power Armours or Portable Scan Dilators, or even some cybernetic sensor-hands, or medical sensors. However some Batons are only programmed to be able to use specific sensors for specialized use, like a Dosimeter for example. For more detailed readings the Baton can produce a detachable unit that can be waved in close proximity to a specific subject or area for better and more detailed readings (if destroyed it takes one week to replace, has 15 S.D.C. or 3 M.D.C. depending on setting). It can also produce vials for samples to be inserted an analyzed (one vial for every 5 P.E. points of the Bio-Linked user, per hour).
0.5 points for each specialized sensory use (Dosimeter, Motion Detector, Geiger counter, Blood Pressure meter, etc.), 1 point per sensory family (Utility, Scientific, Medical/Bio, Meteorological, etc.), 4 points for all sensors (except Temporal or Dimensional sensor suites, which cost an additional 3 points each).
7. Multi-Tool: This capability has multiple objects included as sub-functions. What this is in essence is a portable tool-box. The Baton is capable of creating multiple tool-heads from either end, sometimes both ends, with the Baton itself becoming the handle of the tool. Both hand tools and several variations on power tools are available. Which types and varieties of tools available vary greatly by programming, with specialist tools or tool-sets being available for different fields of work.
- These include such tools as Hammers, Screwdrivers, Socket Wrench, Pliers, Crowbar, Pry bar, Clamp, Shovel, Hatchet, Chisels, Spanners (Wrenches), Tire-Iron, small cutting blades like Exacta-Knives and Scalples, and more. Multiple sizes, types, and varieties of each can exist. Some tools, like shovels, may require that the shaft of the Baton be extended in a manner similar to the Staff below.
Varies: A single hand tool, like a flathead screwdriver for example, costs only half a point (0.5), but one gains that tool in a variety of sizes to fit a variety of tasks. For a single (1) point one gains the entire family of tools (using the screwdriver example, all sizes with all the different heads, flathead, Phillips Robertson, etc.). For a mere 4 points all Hand Tools are unlocked.
- A powered tool with a variety of rotating accessory bits and attachments that can be used for drilling, grinding, sharpening, cutting, cleaning, polishing, sanding, routing, carving, engraving, screw-driving, and many other applications. This also includes the ability to mount the accessories at many different angles and orientations.
: Varies: 0.5 points to unlock the Rotary Tool feature, plus additional points for the various bits. A single family of bits, drill bits for example, costs only half a point (0.5), but one gains a variety of sizes and special purpose variants. For a mere 4 points all rotary bits are unlocked.
- A powered multi-tool with a variety of accessories and attachments such as a saw, sand, rasp, grind, scrape, cut & polish, and many others. Also includes the ability to mount them at many different angles and orientations. In some cases use of an offset in a fitted blade allows the tool to cut flush with a surface.
Varies: 0.5 points to unlock the Oscillating Tool feature, plus additional points for the various attachments. A single family of attachments, saw blades for example, costs only half a point (0.5), but one gains a variety of sizes and special purpose variants. For a mere 4 points all oscillating accessories are unlocked.
- Several other tools can be produced that do not fall under the above categories. Soldering Irons, Blowtorches, Welding Torches, Cutting Torches, Laser Torches, Plasma Cutters, Impact Wrenches, Interphasic Coil Spanners, ODN Recouplers, Sonic Drivers, Dualitic Inverters, Decouplers, Force Bars, oxygen/electric slicing rods, Metal Detectors, and others.
Varies depending on the tool, 0.5 – 2 points per tool, 3-5 points for a family of tools.
8. Domestic Implements: These are often small items of inconsequential importance, but are often used in day-to-day life. Many different Implements can be created, and often one can be created from each end of a Baton. These include but are not limited to Cooking & Eating Utensils (Fork, Dinner Knife, Spoon, etc.), Combs, Corkscrews, Bottle Openers, Can Openers, Brushes, Penknives, Penny Knives, Lighters/Fire-Starters, and many more. There are even some larger Implements that may be created and used with the shaft of the Baton extended, like Brooms, Mops, Canes, Walking Sticks, and much more.
For every 0.5 programming points there up to 15 (3D4+3) Domestic Impalements available.
9. Personal Organizer (PDA): Using a display and interface similar to the projected holographic display of the Sensor option the Baton can function in a manner similar to the PDAs and Tablet Computers of the late 20th and early 21st century Earth, and surpasses these devices as well. The Display can be set to 2D or 3D, and can also be voice activated. Combined with Communications features this can be used for Video and even Holographic communications. The PDA also acts as a catalogue of available programming options if programming points are available, and can provide basic tutorial/informational text and video on the available functions.
10. Hygienic Tools: A family of tools and functions designed to assist the user with hygiene and grooming. A Sonic Hand shower, the Baton produces an emitter head which uses sonic or ultrasonic pulse vibrations to remove dirt and grime from the body, leaving it fresh and clean. A Grooming tool that can be set with certain parameters, and then waved over the head , face, or body, in order to style, maintain, groom, or remove hair., as well as several other such functions.
0.5 points for the whole set.